Let’s talk about insecurities.
Simply put, insecurities come from a place of uncertainty, self-doubt; a lack of confidence whether it be in our appearance, intelligence, skills, or otherwise. There might be some part of us that we aren’t sure of.
We’re often insecure about:
- our physical appearance
- our relationship status
- what others think of us
- not measuring up to “society’s standards”
- our money and career
- not being “good enough”
- our work not being “good enough”
- not succeeding on the first try.
The truth is insecurities are pretty normal. Feeling insecure or unsure is a natural human reaction that we all experience from time to time. However, allowing our insecurities to get the better of us is detrimental. Just think of all the things you could be doing… but for your inability or unwillingness to actually let go of your fears and try something new.
Insecurities might be ruining your life if you’re:
- afraid of failing
- too concerned with what others think about your value
- afraid of rejection
- obsessed with numbers and ratings
- afraid of criticism
- allowing procrastination to get in the way of creating or executing business ideas
- stuck on perfection instead of consistently producing and gradually improving
- not able to be happy for other people’s progress.
By allowing insecurities to overpower us, we’re actively working against our own interests. We’re depriving ourselves of a fair chance to be great. Our skills are not being utilized and they’re definitely not being strengthened. Business ideas don’t see the light of day. Creative ideas don’t stand a chance. Sure, the ideas may make it out of our heads and onto paper but we don’t follow through. As such, we never truly figure out what we even want to do with our lives. We don’t even know if we’re good at something because we just never gave it our best shot. This all leads to one thing. SELF SABOTAGE. Believe me when I say self sabotage is realer than the supposed “haters”.
A few weeks ago while I was watching the commercial for Logan Paul’s relaunch of his Maverick clothing line, I noticed a very profound statement at the end. “The only thing stopping you is you. So don’t.” I decided that this would be my daily reminder to not sabotage my growth. How crazy is it that we are preventing ourselves from achieving our goals… the same goals that you and I set for ourselves.
The next time you (1) get consumed in your fear of failure or rejection, (2) question whether you or your work is good enough, (3) get caught up with criticism, numbers, and ratings, (4) hide behind procrastination or otherwise, remember that:
- you are more than enough
- you should always try new things
- if you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will
- if you don’t promote your own work, no one else will
- you shouldn’t be controlled by your insecurities
- you should push past your fears
- perfection is a fallacy.
I’m challenging you (and myself) to step out of your insecurities and try something new. You owe it to yourself! Insecurities shouldn’t be ruining your life. Don’t let them.
That’s just my 2 cents on that for now.
Until next time!!